Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Coconut Oil: Epic Fail

Hi My Friends,

With the lack of television to watch last night I decided to take the night off to get a few things done for my trip and try something new out and as you can tell by my title, it failed!  Most of you don't know this about me but reading instructions carefully or just reading instructions period is something I don't do too well, obviously. 

Last night, after speaking with a few friends over my dry hair I tried using coconut oil.  So I went to the store, bought some organic coconut oil, making sure the only ingredient is coconut oil, which I did!  One point for me.  Then I came home and applied it to my hair.  First of all, I was shocked it was hard, so I microwaved it a bit.  Thinking I needed to use it as paste I did that for the first few handfuls.  Yep, you heard me right; handfuls (point lost). On my second round I melted it enough that it was actual oil, yep you heard me; second round (well on my way into the negatives). After my hair was drenched in coconut oil I proceeded to heat up a damp towel and sit for 30 minutes before washing it out. 
To put this into perspective, I used at least half a cup, the instructions said to use 1-2 teaspoons.

End result:  I woke up with greasy coconut oil hair.  I showered again this morning and used SOAP in my hair and was able to get some more out, but it's going to take a few more washes defeating the whole purpose.

What I learned:  Always read instructions (To be honest I didn't even think there would be hair instructions as I thought the makers of coconut oil didn't know people used it for hair). But surprisingly there are instructions for hair, cooking and skin use!

I told this funny story to my mom and my friends, you can imagine the laughter I received lol.  I was told to try dish soap like Sunlight or Dawn grease fighting power and tomato juice. 

Even with this epic fail, my hair does seem nourished.  I would definitely recommend this treatment but only if done correctly!  As I know it has worked swimmingly for others.

Note to Self:
Don't experiment right before a trip.
Read the instructions.
Coconut oil will melt in your hand from your body heat.

If you have any hair recipes out there let me know, I am always interested in trying something new.

Have a goodie!

xoxo L

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha so funny! I had coconut oil in my hair yesterday too while Sofia was napping. Except I use about 1/4cup for my entire head.... I wash my hair first then brush it through, wrap a warm towel around and sit for 30 minutes. Then I wash it out with shampoo and condition the hair and then STYLE.

    My curls are just so perfect after a good deep condition with coconut oil. However I'm not going to lie, your coconut oil experience sounds a lot FUNNER.

    xxoo
    Tairalyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially if trying a new hair dye!!!Reminds me of my purple haired road trip. Lots of laughs but Giant Fail!!!
    xxoo ADenise, TBAITW!

    ReplyDelete